Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Have You Earned the Carving Honor?

For us meat eaters, the most exciting part about any holiday feast is the bringing out of the bird (or roast, but since it's Thanksgiving time, we'll stick with that). Ooh's and Aah's escape everyone's mouths as their salivary glands really start kicking into gear.

Now making the Turkey look and taste delectable is a feat in of itself, but to carve the turkey into perfect, juicy pieces is another feat in and of itself. So what is it in a blade that can make the difference between a plate of round, juicy, succulent pieces of white and dark meat and or a heap of chopped up scraps?

Williams-Sonoma, known for their high-quality kitchen ware, gives you an entire Cutlery 101, making you feel like a master chef once you have read through it. You learn the 'Anatomy of a Knife' (did you know the Tang is a single piece of steel, enclosed by the handle, that provides strength, stability and balance?), as well as learning how to match the right knife to you (you may be more European than Asian - each of which blade in very different).

If you are going to go for carving up your turkey all Iron Chef style, I would recommend one of these (they really work great). At least be sure to have a utility knife and boning knife in hand - these will ensure the cleanest, juiciest cuts.

As much as I enjoy trying to be all suave, sticking my two-pronged fork into my turkey while I carve away with my utility knife, let's get real - carving like that is just not my forte (yes I love to cook, but don't go looking for me on the next Iron Chef anytime soon). My family has traditionally used the electric blade. We have had it as long as I can remember. It was important enough in my mother and fathers cooking life to make it in a box from Texas to Utah, and when Thanksgiving is at our place, it is what we use. Not only is this method MUCH more efficient, but it slices right through, quickly and effortlessly, giving you all the juicy goodness you want out of your turkey. However, I would still suggest you have that boning knife on hand. As much as my father tries (he has earned his place as head carver), getting those legs and wings off smoothly with the electric blade has never been done very smoothly. No time is wasted if you set your electric knife down for just a second to bone out those joints (all out time is wasted, however, as my father and I pick at the stuffing popping out of the turkey and sneaking the crispiest pieces of skin we can without my mother seeing). For you visual people, here is a video guide, provided by the Food Network, to show you how to carve electric style.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/carving-the-perfect-turkey/862.html?vpid=tbla|how-to-carve-a-turkey

So there you have it. With only about 15 hours to go until your turkey goes into the oven (or on the grill, or in the deep fryer), you have all the information you need to really earn that carving honor. Best of luck to you this Thanksgiving! I leave you with one of my favorite bird-knife scenes. Not really about carving, but I chuckle every time nonetheless.




HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!! Eat lots and go into a tryptophan coma!




No comments:

Post a Comment