Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Grammy Goodies

This Sunday the birds will be out-sung by the best in the music business as the Grammy's take center stage. While I'm not sure of anyone who has 'Grammy parties' (I've heard of over-the-top Oscar parties), I thought I would share some gluttonous favorites from some stars that have been nominated for this years awards. I have found (and tested) recipes, and will give the little changes I recommend for each as we go. I couldn't pick all of those stellar musicians nominated, so I decided to go with some of my most (and even a least) favorites.

Drumroll please. . . . and the winner is -

Beyonce Knoweles (nominated for best traditional R&B album) - Beyonce claims her gluttonous guilty fair is Popeye's restaurant (I'm with you Beyonce, I can't help but get a bite of Cajun lovin' when I see one!). Make your own Popeye's right at home with my homemade chicken fingers found in my quick bites section. Just be sure to add some cayenne pepper (to your taste) to get that soulful touch!

Usher (nominated for best R&B album) - now here is a man who has made me (and countless other women) swoon with his smile and suave dance moves. Let me melt your heart a little more ladies by telling you that his favorite meal is mom's home cooked spaghetti. Usher, I will be your spaghetti mamma any day.
While making truly homemade pasta is a labor of love, I promise it is well worth it. With a food processor and a pasta maker (or the pasta fixture for your standing mixer), as well as time to dedicate to it, you can have delicious (really, it is so much better than store bought) pasta to go with your mom's best red meat sauce. For the pasta you will need:

2c. cake flour
1c. all purpose flour
*you can use all all purpose, or put in whole wheat, I have just found this combination to mix and hold the best
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4c. olive oil (I always use extra virgin)
pinch of salt

Place all in your food processor and turn on. If you feel the dough is to dry, drizzle in some water, but be sure to eyeball it so you dont get too mushy. Once the dough comes together, bring it out onto a floured surface and knead the dough for 8-10minutes. Next, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20minutes. Once this time has passed, you are ready to roll and go!

Michael Buble (best traditional pop vocal album) - Oh Michael. Being a lover of Jazz and smooth, seductive voices, Michael makes me melt every time I hear him. 'Everything' makes my heart flutter every time. Michael's date food of choice is a good ol' hamburger (it's what he would pick on his ideal date). For your own delicious burger, find some great lean ground meat (92% or higher) and mash in some pressed garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, onion and diced mushrooms, form a patty and grill to your perfection! Top with your favorite toppings (I like avocado, bacon and tomato personally) and enjoy!

Carley Rae Jepson (best pop solo) - OK, this is one of my not-so favorites but she likes pizza and I love making homemade pizza. I'll admit that I cheat with the dough, I just can't seem to master that. Whole Foods makes a fantastic whole wheat dough. I roll that out and make one of two pizzas: Margarita or BBQ chicken. That means all you need are some fresh basil leaves, big slices of beef tomatoes and sliced fresh mozzarella. For BBQ you need some strips of chicken, diced red onion, cilantro and BBQ with some shredded mozzarella sprinkled on top. Bon Appetito!

Taylor Swift (record of the year) - I just had to end with this All-American Sweetheart. What would a sweetheart want for some sweet indulgence some some sweet cinnamon rolls or cookie dough (no baked cookies, just the dough). This recipe is one I have not gotten to try (my weekends and week days are chock full currently), but as soon as my life gets a little less crazy, I will be making these. I'm curious to see what the 'secret ingredient' really does. Check out the recipe for amazing cinnamon rolls here.  My go-to recipe for cookies (or just cookie dough, which I definitely eat plenty of while I make them), is from my Chocolate Snowball cookbook from the fantastic Deer Valley resort Pastry Chef Letty Flatt. The only change (really addition) I make is adding a pinch of cinnamon. Just barely detectable, but enough to just give it a small spice. Here's Letty's traditional recipe.

Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment