Thursday, June 12, 2014

Twinkies for Heros

My dad has a favorite joke whenever we're in public near a family with small kids. Inevitably, the kid will do something silly, the parents will blush, and we'll all laugh. Then, it’s my dad’s cue to say something like, “enjoy it while you can,” or “just wait till you’re not the hero anymore,” and he’ll roll his eyes at me. Seriously, I've seen this particular bit over and over again since I was a teenager.

And the funny story is, he’s never stopped being my hero. He’s always been there to guide, protect, and ask how my car’s running, and for that, I’m grateful. He’s a special man, and he deserves a special Father’s Day.

This may not be the most flattering photo of my dad and I, but it perfectly encapsulates our relationship. 
I know it’s cheesy coming from me, but if he were coming into town, I would take him to Winger’s for Father’s Day. He could get wings, my mom could get salad, and we could all get a craft beer. That’s not even counting the free Fried Twinkies. All day Saturday, June 14 and Sunday, June 15, Winger’s is giving free Fried Twinkies to dads who come in with their families to celebrate.

In case you need any more convincing, drool over this photo of Fried Twinkies for a second.
Now, I have to admit, I’m not really a restaurant dessert person. I usually eat too much and end up feeling full to the point of bursting, but Fried Twinkies are worth saving part of your meal for. They are melt-in-your-mouth decadent with a wonderfully complimentary strawberry topping. They’re perfectly indulgent, which is exactly what a dessert should be.

If I could want anything for my dad this Father’s Day, it would be that he has good food, great beer, and to know that he’s still a hero. The Twinkie tops everything off.

No comments:

Post a Comment